Skip to main content

Steps I took to be healthier than before

Over last 3 years or so, I have made conscious efforts to be in a better health and have taken some steps toward slowly reaching some milestones. There have been several small triggers for the same and several omens which pushed me towards pursuing a healthier lifestyle. While there is still a long road ahead, I believe that some habits which I have adopted are for good!

So, While my weight was  in early-mid 90s back then (I stopped checking at around 93kg), it is now a shade under 80kg, and my BMI just under 25. From my peak to lowest in last few years, I must have shed 15 kg or so. 

Just sharing few thoughts on this journey & the steps I took:
  • Overhauling the diet - I believe that there are several good tasting things available and I can't have them all. So one can prioritize such that healthier things get more space in diet! I didn't reduce eating as such, but I have, to an extent, changed what I eat. Some of them are elaborated below.
  • Reduced intake of sugar. Most of my (~99% of times) tea/ coffee consumption is without sugar. That I need to reduce tea/ coffee consumption is a different matter altogether! It took few days to get this into habit. Now I like sugarless tea/ coffee more.
  • More proteins (partly driven by generous quantity of dal/ lentil & dairy products). Less carbs.
  • More fruits & vegetables in diet. Usually a total of 4-5 serving of both combined.
  • Have regular intake of other healthy stuff like almonds, walnuts, figs, dates, sprouts etc. 
  • Workouts - I started with walks, started slow jogs, and now I can run 10Km once a while. Still far from being even a first time half-marathoner, but hope to reach there eventually. I do some Suryanamaskar and a bit of other exercise once a while. Over next few months I intend to focus more on non-running components of workout & maybe take a break from running, so that there is good body infrastructure created for running! 
  • Being more active. Try to walk more even while doing daily chores and other activities. 
  • Reduced junk food. Reduced intake of processed food. Occasional indulgences are OK. And yes, my sweet intake has gone down but occasional craving of 5 pieces of sweets at one go doesn't go away!


I didn't follow any specific diet like Atkins diet (also, it is difficult for a vegetarian!!) or take any gym membership. While that may have given faster results, I tried to make the above changes  a part of my life. So I am OK with losing 7 kg or so in a year kind of weight loss gradually. And if asked, this is the approach i suggest, mostly to be ignored in favor of glamorous gym membership with personal trainer/ Atkins diet or something similar. Not that I have anything against these, but I would rather prefer changes as a part of life ...

Hope to stay on course!

Comments

Shop @ Amazon

Popular posts from this blog

Art of question paper leaks

(Following is based upon a real discussion which I had today morning) As I was making efforts to keep myself afloat in the swimming pool, I overheard some conversations - "Puraa paper pataa hota hai, wo to humein mil hi jaata hai ... tab bhi hum nahi padhte hain" . .. and so on The guy who did bulk of talking looked around 15 years old and seemed like quite a spoilt brat. I chipped in with some expert comments and questions - "Which board?" "Kisi bhi board ka" After a minute of chat I gathered that he had just given Class 10 exams in ICSE board and was planning to take science stream(PCM), and he studied in a school (say SKP). He had earlier managed to do the same at his previous school (say CRK). Inquisitively, I tried to gather more information on how he manages to get the paper "Bus kuch nahi, security guard ko paise do. 8th, 10th, 12th ke papers. Wo ek extra copy karaa leta hai. ICSE ke paper out karna sabse easy hai. Koi seal nahi hoti" ...

Somewhere @ Nowhere

Somewhere @ Nowhere Coming soon ... As of now a snapshot at the cover design - (LHS - Back Cover, RHS - Front Cover)

new year

2008 is gone, and here we welcome 2009. we celebrate this change with a ritual involving music, food, wine and try to have the best of it all. a time when we make a million resolutions. we evaluate happenings of this day minutely as the omens of next 364 days to come. we hope that it has everything to make this day more than ordinary. but at the end of it, it is - just another day. just another year. just another passing moment. ... and this too shall pass!

A matter of choice ...

You have 2 options, and you have complete freedom to choose any of these. Each option leads to an outcome which is one of those given below 1. You are happy and everyone believing that you are not and sympathising with you. 2. Everyone believing that you are happy, while in reality you are far being so. Which one will you choose ?