Skip to main content

Is it worth it ?

When I came to this place almost seven months back, I knew it is going to be tough, but I never thought that it would be such a big battle for survival. But now when I look at my result and celebrate about having ‘survived’ the system (as on today, as I know not what lies few months down the line !), though not in a great health, I often think of those who haven’t.

Here, the system is quite strict and also at one level though it is flexible, when it comes to discipline and academic standards it is as hard as a rock. In the relative grading system F is the lowest and D is the next. If in a year you accumulate 2 Fs, or 5 Ds or 1 F and 3 Ds; you have to repeat a year.

And few Profs love to give a few Ds and Fs. There have been quite a few deserving candidates who are in the “red zone”, but there are many who don’t deserve to be there. This may be my personal opinion but this is reiterated by probably the entire batch. Passing marks is 35, yet many end up getting 33 or 34 and miss the marks by a whisker.

I don’t know why they do so. Maybe it is their ego. Or maybe they want to prove that the system is ruthless. But what it ultimately ends up doing is scare the hell out of the supposedly ‘mature’ students, and create discontent against the system. An often we dare not to mess with things if they are going wrong. Also the examinations, though often test concepts often go a step further to validate certain model of economics as if we are writing a research paper, and often doing well depends a lot upon how much you can cram.

Also contrasting Indian system with the western, we may be highly intelligent, brilliant and creative but yet our education system still focuses a lot on rote memory and following the norms, while in western world it is often more about freedom and entrepreneurship, where disagreement is not only accepted but often encouraged. Many Indians are leaving a mark globally, but a lot of them at one time or the other were a part of western system – be it Azim Premji, Manmohan singh, P Chidambaram, Indra Nooyi, Laxmi Mittal (all educated/ worked outside India). Though there are many like Mr. Narayan Murthy who does not fill this bill. Maybe it is a time for introspection though things are changing, or at least seem to be changing.

Still they claim to churn out the best ‘managers’. Maybe true, because of the kind of talent they get, types of facilities they have, but all in all we are mostly taught to be managers and not leaders. We get the opportunities, we get facilities, we get an excellent training, but we are taught mostly to conform, and often these ‘very’ best students become victims of the ruthlessness of the system. I accept that life is also not fair, but extending this to education… I don’t think it is worth it.

This all in one of the premier management institutes in India. Sorry, but I am very DISAPPOINTED.

Comments

  1. Hi Buddy,

    Firstly I would like to lend you a word of sympathy and encouragement that you are a part of the system and you still are surviving. That's good news.
    For me to comment on, I would say this is is our Bharat and hierarchy and rules are bound to be adamant. You are a champ but you can't skip any trivial norm.

    And every system has pros and cons. As the educational institutions of India do change for the better, Indian organisations also will.
    If this last sentence of mine creates an ambitguity, I would clarify by saying an organisation run by Indians in India .

    Your friend
    Bhau

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bhau

    Thanks for ur comment.

    yup .. i agree that though thr are some cons, there r many pros of our system.
    But systems can definately improve for good. Ideally, we should be willing to pick up good things from other systems, which we often do ... but at times we fail to do so.

    And at times the victim maybe a potential genius, or a person who would otherwise would have gone places.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Shop @ Amazon

Popular posts from this blog

Art of question paper leaks

(Following is based upon a real discussion which I had today morning) As I was making efforts to keep myself afloat in the swimming pool, I overheard some conversations - "Puraa paper pataa hota hai, wo to humein mil hi jaata hai ... tab bhi hum nahi padhte hain" . .. and so on The guy who did bulk of talking looked around 15 years old and seemed like quite a spoilt brat. I chipped in with some expert comments and questions - "Which board?" "Kisi bhi board ka" After a minute of chat I gathered that he had just given Class 10 exams in ICSE board and was planning to take science stream(PCM), and he studied in a school (say SKP). He had earlier managed to do the same at his previous school (say CRK). Inquisitively, I tried to gather more information on how he manages to get the paper "Bus kuch nahi, security guard ko paise do. 8th, 10th, 12th ke papers. Wo ek extra copy karaa leta hai. ICSE ke paper out karna sabse easy hai. Koi seal nahi hoti" ...

Somewhere @ Nowhere - The Book

FINALLY .... After a tryst with so-called-creativity, I have come up with a book -  Somewhere @ Nowhere. You can have a sneak peek at the story & a few pages from the publisher's website and order the same & get it home delivered anywhere in India/ Abroad. Details as mentioned below- - Preview and get the book home delivered from HERE Also, you can join the following groups - - Orkut Community - Facebook Page Hope you like the work. Would appreciate a feedback. Till then ... Happy Reading!!! And yeah, please spread the word (relying on word of mouth & word of blog publicity) :-) ___ Update (18/02/2010) - Thanks for the initial response to the book :) Update2 (25/ 02/ 2010) - Thanks for the feedbacks on the book those who have read it. (hope to get a feedback by others soon). Encourages me to overcome inertia and write more! Meanwhile, those who ask for why is it currently not available in traditional retail outlets - well, I hope it wil...

The story behind credit card debts & personal loans

Any one with even an iota of interest in personal finance & its workings would probably know that credit card debts and personal loans are usually the worst kinds of debt traps that you can fall into. Yet many people fall into that trap again and again. Many people do come out of it eventually but some don't & this becomes a part of their "lifestyle". That you are eventually paying much more than you need to, if you default on credit card payments intentionally or unintentionally (probably @ 36 % per annum or something similar) or take a personal loan (say, @ 12% per annum or so) is not hard to fathom. However behind these numbers, there may be even a deeper story - that usually that of not having control over expenses or not having created a buffer amount. While there may be some pressing need like unplanned or recurring medical expenses which fuels sudden demand of money or an unexpected job loss, in many other cases this need may be fueled by lack of plani...

Snaps from The Himalayas

Some glimpses of one of the best landscapes in the country. Why long for Alps when our own old, enigmatic yet beautiful Himalayas provide such magnificent and picturesque sceneries!! Have a look. Enjoy. Location - Garhwal Region, Himalayas which lie in the state of Uttrakhand.