Skip to main content

The local train

That was when I saw her. She had almost missed her train. There was another in 8 minutes, but she always preferred to catch this one only. It was a long ride - Mira Road to Churchgate and it took nearly an hour to reach there in a fast train. More than three hours a day she spent in commuting. It could have been more had her home not been near the railway station.

I had moved to Mumbai recently and was still trying to catch up with its pace. I was yet to get accustomed to the local trains. Slowly and steadily I would. Sometimes I wished that I stayed near my office, but it was too expensive. So I chose a distant suburb, trying not to dig a hole into my pocket and screwing my life inside stuffed trains.

This continued for few weeks. I always noticed her getting to the station, catching the train and alighting at the destination before briskly walking to her office. Mine was nearby, but that was it - I never manged to talk to her. She was somewhat reclusive and I didn't have any pretext to approach her and talk. Anyway, she seemed to be a reclusive person and I never saw her talking to anybody. She was an enigma.

But somehow her face was still with me even when I was not travelling - it was there when I was in office, or at home or on Sundays when I was lazing down. There was something about her; something behind her enigmatic face. Maybe, I should gather courage and talk to her. She would often catch the same train while coming back also. maybe, there was a lot in common between us. Maybe, we shared some kind of "connection" or something.

That day, I was late in coming from office and coincidentally she to was. That day, I was not rushing on the station platform as there was a good ten minute before the train. I grabbed a sandwich and walked towards the platform trying to prevent vegetables from spilling on my shirt. That was when I almost hit a pillar and almost fell down - right in front of her eyes. I couldn't save my sandwich though. She had a hearty laugh. I never saw her smile and there she was - laughing. That was the first time I ever had some sort of communication with her. It seemed that she had seen me before - probably on the same train which we took - maybe a slight familiarity.

I occasionally crossed her and exchanged a few "hi"s and "hello"s but that was the end of conversation. She seemed to be more or less disinterested. Yet I felt that she knew a lot about me. Maybe, she was looking for some company during those boring journeys or boring walks. Maybe, i could be that someone!

It was around two months since I moved to the city and first saw her. I was crazy about her and I didn't even know her. Sometimes I waited at the station just to catch a glimpse of her and would "coincidentally" board the same train as her. 

I think I needed to talk to her. Maybe, she also kind of liked me. That was a kind of wishful thinking, but maybe. At least I could give it a try. Maybe, we can just chit chat for some time. I was sure that she would not say no - at least not for talking for ten minutes.

One day, when I was late from my work, I waited for her at the station. She didn't come. Probably she had left early. The next day also same thing happened. The third day I saw her  and accompanied her to her coach. The train wasn't too crowded and it thankfully wasn't a ladies coach. 

I sat near her and within seconds the ticket examiner arrived and asked me for my ticket and certificate. Damn! What certificate? She produced some certificate and showed to him. He asked me for a fine and that was when I realized - the coach was reserved for handicapped, old people and cancer patients. Damn! She was suffering from cancer. The TTE threw me out of coach and I had to catch the next train.

The next day I didn't see her. Probably she was on a different train, or probably not travelling any more, or ...

Comments

  1. wat happened? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful, sad & endearing story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ worldthrumyeyes - keep guessing :) !!!

    @ Rashmi - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Shop @ Amazon

Popular posts from this blog

Art of question paper leaks

(Following is based upon a real discussion which I had today morning) As I was making efforts to keep myself afloat in the swimming pool, I overheard some conversations - "Puraa paper pataa hota hai, wo to humein mil hi jaata hai ... tab bhi hum nahi padhte hain" . .. and so on The guy who did bulk of talking looked around 15 years old and seemed like quite a spoilt brat. I chipped in with some expert comments and questions - "Which board?" "Kisi bhi board ka" After a minute of chat I gathered that he had just given Class 10 exams in ICSE board and was planning to take science stream(PCM), and he studied in a school (say SKP). He had earlier managed to do the same at his previous school (say CRK). Inquisitively, I tried to gather more information on how he manages to get the paper "Bus kuch nahi, security guard ko paise do. 8th, 10th, 12th ke papers. Wo ek extra copy karaa leta hai. ICSE ke paper out karna sabse easy hai. Koi seal nahi hoti" ...

Snaps from The Himalayas

Some glimpses of one of the best landscapes in the country. Why long for Alps when our own old, enigmatic yet beautiful Himalayas provide such magnificent and picturesque sceneries!! Have a look. Enjoy. Location - Garhwal Region, Himalayas which lie in the state of Uttrakhand.

Somewhere @ Nowhere - The Book

FINALLY .... After a tryst with so-called-creativity, I have come up with a book -  Somewhere @ Nowhere. You can have a sneak peek at the story & a few pages from the publisher's website and order the same & get it home delivered anywhere in India/ Abroad. Details as mentioned below- - Preview and get the book home delivered from HERE Also, you can join the following groups - - Orkut Community - Facebook Page Hope you like the work. Would appreciate a feedback. Till then ... Happy Reading!!! And yeah, please spread the word (relying on word of mouth & word of blog publicity) :-) ___ Update (18/02/2010) - Thanks for the initial response to the book :) Update2 (25/ 02/ 2010) - Thanks for the feedbacks on the book those who have read it. (hope to get a feedback by others soon). Encourages me to overcome inertia and write more! Meanwhile, those who ask for why is it currently not available in traditional retail outlets - well, I hope it wil...

The story behind credit card debts & personal loans

Any one with even an iota of interest in personal finance & its workings would probably know that credit card debts and personal loans are usually the worst kinds of debt traps that you can fall into. Yet many people fall into that trap again and again. Many people do come out of it eventually but some don't & this becomes a part of their "lifestyle". That you are eventually paying much more than you need to, if you default on credit card payments intentionally or unintentionally (probably @ 36 % per annum or something similar) or take a personal loan (say, @ 12% per annum or so) is not hard to fathom. However behind these numbers, there may be even a deeper story - that usually that of not having control over expenses or not having created a buffer amount. While there may be some pressing need like unplanned or recurring medical expenses which fuels sudden demand of money or an unexpected job loss, in many other cases this need may be fueled by lack of plani...

Survival

Dark clouds were looming at the horizon. In few minutes they would have traveled few miles in westward direction and came closer. This is not usually the scene at noon in the hottest month of the year. Dark clouds meant something ominous. Probably sign of an impending storm or maybe a cyclone approaching. Sea is a capricious lady. Bay of Bengal was no different. It was infamous for cyclones, and Orissa was often at the receiving end of nature’s fury. Ramdas was few miles into the sea. So were his brethrens of the fishermen community. There were around a hundred boats in the sea that day. No one anticipated the storm. So no one even thought of staying back at the shore and miss out on their livelihood of the day. Ramdas was alone in his boat. He owned the boat. His son helped him with his job. They managed to get enough as to earn a square meal a day. They had a good rapport with others of fishing community. But of late that relationship was breaking down. No reasons for that. Nor wa...