Skip to main content

Assured returns from stock markets?

Stocks (and hence mutual funds) are often sold as something that give "assured" long term returns over a period of time. While this has been true for most of the times, and all time if we consider a long enough time horizon in India's recent history but is this always true?

Can it be possible that stock markets can give lesser, say 10% returns over next 10 years? Or 5 percent annual returns? Or, taking inspiration from Nicholas Taleb, a black swan event happens and your end up barely recovering 80 percent of your principal amount (i.e. 20 percent loss) -  

Theoretically yes. 
Hopefully no. 

I am not a predictor of future, nor are thousands others who claim to have more than 1000% percent surety of future events.

So, if you are contemplating taking a personal loan @ 12% for some financial need and want to be invested in a mutual fund for "assured" 12 / 15/ 18/ 25 percent returns, maybe you need to rethink.

If you want to borrow money @ 12% just to invested in a mutual fund for "assured" 12 / 15/ 18/ 25 percent return, read the above point.

If you want to put all your investments in stock markets, check the allocations vis a vis debt. Possibly no harm in keeping most of your investment (or even all your investment, if you have that faith) in stock markets, but if you are taking debt to invest in market, I don't think it is a wise option. This may even be a "virtual debt" like holding on top stocks but defaulting on credit cards due to cashflow issues.

If markets give, say 10 percent annualized returns over nest few years, will you be able to identify its peak (and convert to cash close to peak) or will it remain tied to your notional returns? What will be returns in this case? 
(Of course, with returns like 15% or more, this question is unlikely to arise.)

Is past performance an indicator of future performance?

What are your thoughts?


Comments

  1. Great blog, Nikesh bhai.
    Mutual funds, as per my understanding, are a relatively safe bet today. But of course, if you take a personal loan @12% and expect a return @15-20% over the next few years, it might turn into a loss, or even a complete disaster.
    I have recently started investing into mutual funds and planning to put most of my savings (barring 10-20% by way of FD,etc.), into a variety of MF. What do you think?

    Regards,
    Pranab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one should have a good mix of exposure to debt & equity. Debt can help in capital protection & equity (via MF) can potentially help capital grow. But it is almost impossible to predict the markets & hence relying on its growth entirely may be a bit risky. The mix can depend upon your needs & expected returns. At current levels (which I think is a bit expensive), I would like to be invested in equity but avoid over-exposure.

      Delete
  2. What ratio for debt: equity do you recommend? I know 'balanced' mutual funds have a built-in ratio of 25:75. Is that healthy enough? At an early age (<35 yrs) an investor might be tempted to go for higher equity.
    -Pranab

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is often suggested that idea equity exposure is - 100 - your age (hence, 2/3rd of your investments approx). However, I believe one needs to factor in how expensive markets are to figure out ideal mix for self. While there are no right or wrong answers, at current levels, I would prefer not more than 50% in equity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Shop @ Amazon

Popular posts from this blog

Art of question paper leaks

(Following is based upon a real discussion which I had today morning) As I was making efforts to keep myself afloat in the swimming pool, I overheard some conversations - "Puraa paper pataa hota hai, wo to humein mil hi jaata hai ... tab bhi hum nahi padhte hain" . .. and so on The guy who did bulk of talking looked around 15 years old and seemed like quite a spoilt brat. I chipped in with some expert comments and questions - "Which board?" "Kisi bhi board ka" After a minute of chat I gathered that he had just given Class 10 exams in ICSE board and was planning to take science stream(PCM), and he studied in a school (say SKP). He had earlier managed to do the same at his previous school (say CRK). Inquisitively, I tried to gather more information on how he manages to get the paper "Bus kuch nahi, security guard ko paise do. 8th, 10th, 12th ke papers. Wo ek extra copy karaa leta hai. ICSE ke paper out karna sabse easy hai. Koi seal nahi hoti" ...

Somewhere @ Nowhere

Somewhere @ Nowhere Coming soon ... As of now a snapshot at the cover design - (LHS - Back Cover, RHS - Front Cover)

new year

2008 is gone, and here we welcome 2009. we celebrate this change with a ritual involving music, food, wine and try to have the best of it all. a time when we make a million resolutions. we evaluate happenings of this day minutely as the omens of next 364 days to come. we hope that it has everything to make this day more than ordinary. but at the end of it, it is - just another day. just another year. just another passing moment. ... and this too shall pass!

What's the purpose of investing?

"Investment" - This word is much used and often much abused one. One keeps on hearing this almost all the time be it in office or catching up with friends or attending a family functions - almost everywhere. More so when we are fed with lot of information about how one needs to make money work to get more money. However, for a lot of people, the clarity on one question is often lacking - What is the purpose of investing? And even if one knows his/ her purpose of investing, it is often not implemented in real life. For instance, purpose of one's investments may be having sufficient funds in times of need. Yet they may opt for a personal loan when faced with pressing need for money. Based upon my observations, below are some of the most common purpose of investments (in no particular order) I invest because there is some sufficient funds lying with me and I can get great returns. I am investing for some specific goal - buying a house, education of kids, m...