Skip to main content

Random Birthday thoughts

As I would have cribbed @ 1000000000 words per day, I am currently at a place called Jhunjhunu where I have no social life to speak of, internet is the only thing that keeps me going, apart from few random movies or episodes of Seinfeld. So prospects of celebrating birthday in this solitary confinement are not that exciting!

Too add to that, as I switched on my laptop yesterday night, I realized that it had conked off and is showing fan error as the reason. For me this was the end of world. And I knew not how would I survive! I hoped the issue will get sorted out in a week but it is too much to ask in this small town and this time period seemed to be an extremely optimistic guess. My birthday eve and early morning were spent on developing strategies on how to get it repaired. I couldn't find any IBM authorized dealer here, and I would have needed to send it to Delhi.

There were two options - first was about sending it as a parcel to one of my friends at IBM , either directly or indirectly through my brother, who lives at NCR. Then I could have made a visit to Delhi on the one day weekend I get, so that I could be back after collecting my laptop. The other was going to Delhi this weekend, giving the laptop for repair and collecting it the next weekend.

Maybe I could incentivize the channel members with a cheese burst pizza at Domino's.

These were few of the many thoughts running in my mind throughout the night. Other was strategizing about ho to pass time fo next few days. Maybe, a 2 hour session at internet cafe followed by random TV channel hopping, and maybe a few novels which I had sufficient stock to last for 7 non-internet days. In fact I spent a fraction of 12-1 AM in thanking my friends for birthday wishes and rest in cribbing about my lappy!

Today morning I went to a local computer shop, the only one that was open in that area at 10 AM, without expecting anything. After an initial rejection and a phone call later, he opened the laptop as if he was about to perform a complex brain surgery, took a vacuum cleaner and blew the dust off it. The fan was now in working condition, and the laptop too!

The day was spent in selling hair oils, toothpastes, shampoos, hajmola, toilet cleaners, and evening is being spent in front of laptop and TV, and of course my cell phone!

__________

Among one of the instructions I got from home was to visit the world famous Rani Sati Temple in this region!

I disobeyed.

Though I do many things against my will, this was unthinkable. How can I visit some place that actually glorifies that lady who supports this mindless evil custom. In fact I hate the fact that there is a temple dedicated to Rani Sati.

But then, my hating it or not does not make any difference to how the world functions!
__________

I have completed the silver jubilee of my existence ... and soon I'll be 30, then forty ... fifty ... sixty ... Damn! I am becoming an old man. I have invested a lot of this time in whiling away in all kinds of useless activities, all those activities which yield an abysmal ROI.

Time is flying away fast, real fast.

__________

In fact, I am constantly getting reminded of an episode from 'Friends', where they all turned thirty. They were sad, and crying!

But then, they say that life begins at 40. So there are still 15 years to go before my life begins!

__________

In this era of remakes, I am repeating something which I did last year on my birthday

For all those birthday wishes, I just want to say -->

T HANKS

Comments

  1. Birthday Ramblings... :)

    And this 25 yr thing, even I was telling my friend, that see, now, I come in III category for CCD feedback forms, 25 and above...And the last category as well...

    Anyways, age is just number ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on ur 25th! :) Loads of best wishes coming your way... :) You should receive them by courier tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Silencekilled - As they say, it is not the age but the mileage!

    The next time I visit CCD, I'll pretend that I did not notice the feedback form !!

    @ Worldthrumyeyes

    Thanks for the wishes already sent(... and the wishes to come by courier!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey happy birthday ! so are you on some vacation in Rajasthan ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Munmun - Thanks for wishes

    I am not on any kind of vacation in Rajasthan. Am here for my 2 months rural stint for selling hair oils, tooth pastes etc and all those FMCG products!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post

    Happy birthday

    Keep writing

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. T Hanks eh?

    and here I thought MY jokes were bad...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Srinath - You have some stiff competition!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Shop @ Amazon

Popular posts from this blog

Art of question paper leaks

(Following is based upon a real discussion which I had today morning) As I was making efforts to keep myself afloat in the swimming pool, I overheard some conversations - "Puraa paper pataa hota hai, wo to humein mil hi jaata hai ... tab bhi hum nahi padhte hain" . .. and so on The guy who did bulk of talking looked around 15 years old and seemed like quite a spoilt brat. I chipped in with some expert comments and questions - "Which board?" "Kisi bhi board ka" After a minute of chat I gathered that he had just given Class 10 exams in ICSE board and was planning to take science stream(PCM), and he studied in a school (say SKP). He had earlier managed to do the same at his previous school (say CRK). Inquisitively, I tried to gather more information on how he manages to get the paper "Bus kuch nahi, security guard ko paise do. 8th, 10th, 12th ke papers. Wo ek extra copy karaa leta hai. ICSE ke paper out karna sabse easy hai. Koi seal nahi hoti" ...

Snaps from The Himalayas

Some glimpses of one of the best landscapes in the country. Why long for Alps when our own old, enigmatic yet beautiful Himalayas provide such magnificent and picturesque sceneries!! Have a look. Enjoy. Location - Garhwal Region, Himalayas which lie in the state of Uttrakhand.

The story behind credit card debts & personal loans

Any one with even an iota of interest in personal finance & its workings would probably know that credit card debts and personal loans are usually the worst kinds of debt traps that you can fall into. Yet many people fall into that trap again and again. Many people do come out of it eventually but some don't & this becomes a part of their "lifestyle". That you are eventually paying much more than you need to, if you default on credit card payments intentionally or unintentionally (probably @ 36 % per annum or something similar) or take a personal loan (say, @ 12% per annum or so) is not hard to fathom. However behind these numbers, there may be even a deeper story - that usually that of not having control over expenses or not having created a buffer amount. While there may be some pressing need like unplanned or recurring medical expenses which fuels sudden demand of money or an unexpected job loss, in many other cases this need may be fueled by lack of plani...

Somewhere @ Nowhere - The Book

FINALLY .... After a tryst with so-called-creativity, I have come up with a book -  Somewhere @ Nowhere. You can have a sneak peek at the story & a few pages from the publisher's website and order the same & get it home delivered anywhere in India/ Abroad. Details as mentioned below- - Preview and get the book home delivered from HERE Also, you can join the following groups - - Orkut Community - Facebook Page Hope you like the work. Would appreciate a feedback. Till then ... Happy Reading!!! And yeah, please spread the word (relying on word of mouth & word of blog publicity) :-) ___ Update (18/02/2010) - Thanks for the initial response to the book :) Update2 (25/ 02/ 2010) - Thanks for the feedbacks on the book those who have read it. (hope to get a feedback by others soon). Encourages me to overcome inertia and write more! Meanwhile, those who ask for why is it currently not available in traditional retail outlets - well, I hope it wil...